Choosing the Right Helmet
Finding and sizing a properly fitted helmet is essential to riding safely. It is important to consider the type of riding you’ll be doing to ensure the helmet you choose suitable for the discipline you pursue
Sizing your Helmet:
- Measure the circumference of your head (from forehead around to the back of your skull) to establish an idea of the size range that you’re looking for.
- To determine your helmet size to be fitted for a Tipperary Helmet (Sportage 8500, Titan 9000 & T-Series T4 & T2) please refer to this sizing chart:
- A new helmet should feel snug on your head with no pressure points. This gives the helmet foam an opportunity to conform to the shape of your head.
- A properly fitted helmet will not have any excessive up and down (rocking) movement on the head with the front liner padding slightly above the eyebrows. Excessive rocking of the helmet is a result of a loose fit.
- The helmet should sit on the head with the front liner padding approximately one finger width above the eyebrows.
Adjusting Your Fit:
- Tipperary recognizes that everyone’s head has a different size or shape. That is why Tipperary Helmets come with two sizes of removable foam inserts to build a customized fit to your head. Additional foam pieces can be added under the liner to achieve a customized fit.
- If additional padding is required to create a more comfortable and secure fit, refer to the FIT PAD’s Diagram in the user’s manual that is attached to the Tipperary Helmet that you are trying on for specific adjustment details.
Fitting the Helmet-Chin Straps:
- The down straps of the helmet should be angled forward to correctly position the buckle under the jaw (slightly forward from the neck).
- The Helmet-Chin Strap should be adjusted to fit snug and secure when under the chin so that the rider can at least fit two fingers underneath the straps.
Important Facts to Know:
Tipperary Helmets are ASTM/SEI Certified
The Safety Equipment Institute (SEI) is an organization that certifies protective equipment for a variety of industries. ASTM International (the American Society for Testing and Materials) is one of the world’s most respected standards organizations, setting standards for protective headgear. For equestrian helmets, SEI has selected the ASTM standard F1163 to evaluate helmet performance. SEI requires testing at an independent lab to the F1163 ASTM standard. All Tipperary helmets are ASTM/SEI Certified.
Replace your helmet if you have hit your head in a fall.
If your helmet has taken an impact from any type of fall, it should be replaced. Equestrian helmets are made for one impact only. Even if you don’t see any damage, the area of the helmet where impact occurred could still be compromised. We strongly recommend replacing any helmet that has taken an impact from any type of fall. The accident replacement period for Tipperary helmets is one year from date of purchase if you have completed the Tipperary Equestrian Helmet Warranty Registration Form. To complete the form, click here: http://www.phoenixperformance.com/warranty-form/
Replace your helmet every 5 years.